The above pictures were taken while still at the MTC but sent from Ohio.
Kevin usually writes in response to my email, writes his President and then writes another email home. Sometimes we get time for a quick question in between. This time I asked if he had pictures from Ohio. He hadn't taken many but promised to send some next week.
Mom,
Spanish is coming slower than I'd like. It has been a tad
discouraging, knowing that I've had 4 years of Spanish and still can't
communicate fluently. But thank you for the words of wisdom to keep working
hard. I know I just need to be patience and diligent and it will come. It's
comforting to know that Elder Fivas has been experiencing similar trials. A
trio must be difficult.
That's funny about Josh's camera. I can't believe it was
in our car the whole time! I'm glad you located it before he left for the MTC,
even tho he's not taking it with him.
Sounds like you all had a good time in southern Utah.
that's great. Yes I'd like to do Angel's landing sometime. That's one thing I
miss about Utah, the Mountains! It's flat as a pancake here.
Thank you for the East package. It was fantastic. Me and
Elder Brown have already eaten through almost all of it. And yes I'm excited
for Conference. You know you're a missionary when you look forward to conference
more than a holiday haha. Unfortunately I can only write on Pdays. BUT I can
read letters any day of the week. SO feel free to send a letter with your
questions so I can think about them throughout the week.
I need to email President now. I'll try to send out one last
email in about in about an hour.
-Kevin
Alright so there's not time to write another letter so I'll just
copy and paste the letter I sent to President Nilsen. haha Enjoy.
President,
I'm getting more immersed in the area and
the Spanish culture, I love it. I'm getting to know the area, the people, the
branch, and the language a little better. I have been making progress in my
ability to teach and speak, but at the same time it's not as fast as I'd like.
Truth is, I've had four years of Spanish classes and I feel like I should be
able to communicate better than I can now. This has been a bit frustrating and
is maybe all part of the Lord's plan to humble me so He can build me. I know I
need to be patient with myself. I'm recommitting my faith and I'm going to make
a more conscious effort to actively learn the language throughout the day.
Our area hasn't been meeting all of the mission
standards. It's been in a bit of a slump lately. But the members of our
small branch are incredible people. This is something that me and Elder Brown
could improve on - Do everything we can to involve the members more fully in
the work. Now that the English ward is going to help provide meals for us, I
think it would be okay to ask more of the Spanish branch (more member present
lessons, more referrals, etc.) One thing that has been going really well
is an increase in Less Active Member attendance. Two less-active families have
been at church the past two weeks, and both have offered and provided us
multiple dinner appointments.
Me and Elder Brown can clash a little bit but
those moments are few and far in between. And we both get over it quickly. We
are both realizing that we've got plenty to learn from each other. This work
isn't always peachy, but I know it's inspired and I'm grateful to be a part of
it.
-Elder Kevin Graf
Well. There it is. My weekly letter to president. Yes the Spanish
hasn't come as fast as I'd like but I'm really not as discouraged as I may
sound. I do notice that I'm improving and I just need to be patient. Yes, I'm
in a Spanish branch so all our meetings are in Spanish, good jolly fun.
Unfortunately I can only write on Pdays, but I can receive and read letters/
packages any day of the week. FYI, I think it takes about 3 days for stuff to
get here if you forward it from the Mission home, not too bad in my opinion.
Random!
Ate a jalapeno, it scorched my throat. But I love the Mexican
food we get fed, I'll have to buy some and send it home sometime. Thanks for
the Easter goodies, I've gained a couple pounds. When It snowed here, I thought
of a new door approach for tracting: Build a mini portable snowman, knock on
doors, ask people for raisins/chocolate chips for the eyes. It breaks the ice
and then you get talking about Jesus haha :D we actually got a couple return
appointments. Good Stuff. Well, got to go, I'll take some pics and send them
next week. Thank you for being the greatest family in the world. LES
QUIERO.
-Elder Kevin