There is so much to tell about this week and always so little
time! I'll give you an outline and you might have to use your imagination to
fill in the blanks.
Monday: We taught M… and C… about priesthood and are going to
help M… prepare to receive it after their marriage and baptism. But it was
really neat to talk about the goal of temple attendance with them. This week
I've been really working on making sure that I myself am constantly progressing
in my personal conversion. So I've made an extra effort to look for the
blessings of the Lord's hand in each day and it's amazing to realize how
much He does for you. Even in the seemingly simple things. An example of this
happened when M… and C… asked a couple of questions about a few
scriptures they had read and I was able to explain them to them even
though I had never before understood them myself. Just a light bulb went off in
my head and it all made sense.
Tuesday: Tuesday most of the day was dedicated to interviews
with president Porter. He told me some pretty incredible things. He told me,
" You are the most obedient missionary in the mission. You can't be more
obedient than perfectly obedient. I trust you more than any other missionary.
You're an incredible trainer. I would trust you with my son." So I was feeling
pretty good about myself. But then we had a discussion about why I wasn't
baptizing. We came to the conclusion that I don't need to work any harder but I
just need to forget myself, give my heart to these people, and ask in
faith for miracles. Elder Gibb and I also had a really good talk. He called me
out as being a robot. That's not exactly what he said but it's what he meant
and he's right. I think for a time I had gotten comfortable and stopped
progressing personally. I reminded myself why I came out on my mission in the
first place, not just to do a mission, but to really serve my brothers and
sisters from my heart. Hermana Concepcion also had given me and Elder Gibb some
good advice a few weeks back. We asked her for advice and she told us to just
speak from our hearts, not to change for anyone, and just be ourselves. Some
words that I really appreciated. So, in all this I can say that I'm still
learning to give my heart. To really give everything I have and consecrate it
as God's, for Him and His purposes. No don't think that I was depressed or
anything, I was quite the opposite. I think for a while I just fell into a bit
of a comfortable routine, and I was forgetting how valuable my time out here
really is. So all the words from my companion, and members, and president just
helped me to wake up a little bit and remember that again. Anyways, I just
blabbed away all the time I have but I'll give you just a sentence or two about
the rest of the week.
Wedenesday: Car battery died.... twice. Yay. Water pipes freeze
and explode at church and floods the kitchen. It was a miracle that our district
was there when it happened so we could stop it and clean up, otherwise the
whole church would have baptized itself.
Thursday: Taught C… and read in the Book of Mormon with him.
Friday: Teach M… and C… again!
Saturday: 2 baptisms by Elder Carranza and Elder Shiffler; their
first ones! It was a special day for everyone because we got to help them
prepare for the baptisms throughout the week with cleaning, and the programs,
and interviews. One little girl named J… had to do it twice because her foot
didn't go under. She is absolutely terrified of the water and began crying and
almost walked out after the first attempt. The room went dead quiet and you
could tell that everyone was just praying their hearts out that she would try
again. She did it again and it was a success. Really both of the baptisms were
miraculous but no time to explain right now!
Sunday: Sunday was possibly one of my favorite days of my life.
Church services were full of little miracles and we had some really
special experiences that I hope I never forget. One of them was that we went to
visit Hermana Concepcion's sister in the hospital after a surgery on her leg.
We gave her a priesthood blessing and it was the easiest blessing I've ever
given. My Spanish wasn't perfect but I know the gift of tongues helped the
words come. We all gave teary-eyed testimonies of the Savior. It was an
experience that for me confirmed the sacredness of being a representative of
the Lord. She's not a member, yet, but she told us how we were angels to her,
how she always felt an increase of peace when we came over to eat, and how they
name they will give our names at the last day as people who testified of
Christ. And of Him I do bear my testimony, that He lives. That Jesus is the
Christ, truly the son of the living God.
Love You all. Les quiero a todos.
Elder
Graf