Ohio Columbus Mission February 2013 to June 2013
Ohio Cincinnati Mission July 2013 to February 2015

Monday, March 24, 2014

Hispanics are Great People


This transfer has been going by so fast. I can't believe it. It's good to hear that you're all doing well at home. How is my cousin in Russia? Is the battle of Armageddon commencing?

Tuesday we had a Zone conference. The night before I helped Elder Taylor cut his hair. It was the first time either of us had attempted cutting hair but it turned out all right. The conference was dedicated to Joseph Smith and The Book Of Mormon. It was really powerful. The senior couples did a good job putting together a multi media presentation. Towards the end they had me read D&C 135:6 to the zones. (They picked me to read it because of my deep voice haha). But I couldn't help but get a little emotional, which doesn't happen that often. How embarrassing, I was sniffling like a child in front of the mission and President Porter. But I just have such a deep conviction of the blessing of the Book Of Mormon and of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I know he was called of God to restore the true Church of Christ. How blessed and obligated we are to share it with the rest of the world.

Saturday was a great day. We went on exchanges with the Assistants. They were out to learn how Elder Taylor has been getting so many new investigators. I went with Elder Bell to the assistants’ area. It was a good time riding around in the mission Ford F150 truck. Elder Bell asked me what I'd think about English work. I told him I understand that I'm at the dispense of the mission but I'd prefer to stay Spanish. But who knows? We'll see what they decide to do with me this next transfer, I can't imagine that Elder Taylor and I will be together another transfer. I'd be really surprised.

After the exchange we went to R…'s 11th Birthday party. I'll attach a picture that Elder Taylor had on his camera. Kids were running around screaming for an hour or more. But at the end we had everyone settle down and we sang a hymn. It was a cool experience. I often forget the power of hymns. It's one of the greatest and most immediate ways to invite the spirit.

Presidente V… just came back from a month long business trip in Chile. It was great to see him again. Hispanics are great people. Some of them are really unsung heroes. One of them is Sister P…. She is a mother of 4 kids that are between the ages of 4 and 14. She and her family went this terribly cold winter without any electricity or running water in their home. The only way to heat or cook was a single kerosene stove. She is a complete pioneer spirit. She makes do with what she has and never complains. When her kids make a mess or need attention she just takes care of the situation and is always smiling and positive. She is an incredible example. Thankfully they finally got electricity this past week.

We meet lots of men that left their homes and families to come to the United States to work and provide a better life for their kids back in their country. A guy name E… told us his story. He left Mexico to work tirelessly here in the states so his kids could have food and education. He hasn't been able to see his family for 14 years. His wife left him for another guy a year after he came here to work. He was depressed for a long time and he still suffers from bad drinking habits that he started to try to cope with all of his stress. He continues to send money home to them just because he still loves the kids so much. But he is getting tired and his dreams of a better future here in America for his family are fading. He plans on returning to Mexico a year from now. It's so sad that this is the case with so many of the Hispanics that we meet. They are in these terrible routines where all they know is work from sun up to sun down, never seeing their families for years, and many of their families forget about them and leave them. We just sat and listened to him as he relieved himself of all the stresses of life that have been building up over the years. I know I can't relate in the slightest way to these circumstances and difficulties. But I know that Our Savior knows perfectly what they are going through, and I know that He knows perfectly what we go through as well. I'll always be grateful for Him and God's plan for us.

Love you all so much. Have a fantastic week!!!

Elder Graf


Random Less active guy that didnt know where the church was- Awesome story-
So, he was born Lutheran, asked his pastor "Where are all the prophets and temples like in the bible?" Pastor says "Go find them!" So he left that church and started his search. Later, during boot camp, a Mormon invited him to come to a get together after a service for some M&Ms and some pizza. The Book of Mormon was presented along with the restoration and the man thought it was crazy, didn't believe a word. But then he went back to his room and knelt down and prayed about it. Without even opening the book, he received an overwhelming yes, with peaceful and assuring feelings that have accompanied him ever since.
Birthday Party!