Ohio Columbus Mission February 2013 to June 2013
Ohio Cincinnati Mission July 2013 to February 2015

Monday, September 16, 2013

Mexico Independence Day


WHOOO! Celebrate Mexico Independence day!

So fasting has become a part of my life here in the mission field. Mom I know you think I'm hypoglaucemic or something because I eat so much (and yet have not gained any weight hehehe) but you'll be surprised to know that fasting has become a lot easier for me. We fast like twice a week. Whether it's as a companionship, district, zone, or mission depends but we do it all the time and I've come to love it. And we do it because it works. I always feel especially close to my Heavenly Father and in tune to the spirit on those days. On days that we fast we always see blessings and miracles because of it! So I have a testimony of fasting now. :D yesterday is an example. We had an AWESOME day yesterday, and I'd attribute it to our prayers, sacrifice and fast. We found 2 new investigators yesterday and met all of our daily goals with 4 awesome lessons, and Andrea (less active) and her husband Dustin (invest.) are committed to coming to church next week! Also we had a miracle yesterday at church. A guy from Korea posted online that he wanted to learn Spanish. A member saw it and gave him the address and time to our branch services and he came! The other elders began teaching him right there at the church and gave him a tour of the church. They then went straight from the church to have dinner at a member’s home. They had dinner and watched mormon.org videos and he loved it. He's headed back to the member's home tonight to celebrate Mexican Independence! Booyeah! Member missionary power!

I've learned another aspect about how inspired our mission calls are. The mission is just as much for the missionary as the missionary is for the people. If the missionary wants to have success amongst the children of God whom he serves the missionary must become the person that God wants him to be. For example, I've been called to Spanish speaking Ohio where surprisingly most of the missionaries called to our Spanish zone aren't naturally outgoing people. But in order to connect to the Spanish population we must become more energetic and enthusiastic than we are. We are at least required to "fake it until we make it." This applies to me as well. To connect to my Spanish investigators I've got to be more outgoing, I'm required to stretch and grow in ways that Heavenly Father wants me to grow. I don't know if this made any sense and I don't have time to correct it if it doesn't but I guess I'm trying to say that Heavenly Father delicately guides and shapes our lives. Heavenly Father maybe wanted me to become a little more outgoing so maybe that's just part of the reason He called me to Spanish work where I'm now playing soccer every Saturday and singing Spanish hymns with random people so that they can feel the spirit. And, all in all I love it. Life is good here in Dayton. It's my little "pueblo" away from home. Hope you are all doing great! I love you all tons!  

Elder Kevin Graf

This must be a picture of the tornado he saw several weeks ago.
Ohio Scenery
He titled this one "gourmet dinner." Notice the sign on the doorknob.
Pretty sunset.