Ohio Columbus Mission February 2013 to June 2013
Ohio Cincinnati Mission July 2013 to February 2015

Monday, September 30, 2013

Muffins Work Magic

Muffins work magic. If you want less actives to come back to church all you need to do is make muffins for them :) Mom, if you have any recipes of delicious things, then please send them! We need more ideas for treats that we can cook for people! We love making things for people and members and investigators love it. (Recipes for treats like banana bread, peanut bars, and various types of cookies would be appreciated)

Well, this week was pretty awesome. It seemed as if everything went well. We contacted all of our less actives (which isn't an incredible number of people, but nonetheless an accomplishment to find them at home) last week and most of them came to church yesterday. Several of the members are really becoming missionary-minded and offering their help to teach and are also opening up their homes to host a Noche de Hogar (Family Home Evening night) with investigators. Elder Foote and I have found a few people that are going to progress really well, and Elder Taylor and Elder Garcia (the other elders that just moved in this transfer) are working with a couple people that want to get baptized in the coming month or two. Our branch church attendance was like 40 plus people yesterday! (Normally we only have about 30.) But it is also sad because one of the coolest families is moving back to Mexico for a year or so :( I sent a picture of the family in another email. But, this branch's potential seems like it's really starting to bubble. This last week was really fun. Throughout my mission I've been learning and growing on so many levels but I feel like this last week especially was when the work was really fun. I went on exchanges with Elder Garcia (A native to Mexico. Well, he's technically American, but his parents are 100 percent Hispanic and so he's familiar with the culture.) and we really learned from each other. I've changed my approach. I've learned how to be more relaxed and interact and love the Hispanic people more and it changes how they respond. Once we really try to develop a friendship with them and show them that we have a genuine interest in them they are much more open with us and willing to hear the gospel!

There were so many cool experiences this week but because of this extremely sticky keyboard I'm only going to be able to type one quick one....

Saturday night it was really late and we were thinking about driving back home but we decided to stop by and visit an investigator named Guillermina. She recently moved to the Little Mexico trailers in Medway and has 3 young kids. We knocked her door and we talked to her for a few minutes on her porch. She seemed a little weighed down with things (maybe work and family, I don't know). But Elder Foote and I sang to her two verses of "Mas cerca, Dios a Ti" (Nearer My God to Thee) and it was so cool. I know that that was something she really needed that night. Maybe all we did was provide her a little renewed hope but it was enough. While singing to her in the quiet of the night the spirit was like BOOM, It came so strong and it was such a powerful experience. Her whole demeanor changed and she's completely more open to us. The spirit works some pretty awesome changes in people. It's such an incredible gift that we have.

Anywho, life is still good in Dayton. Love you all and stay close to the scriptures!

Elder Graf